Song of the Sleep Sirens

I was trying to crawl out of bed early this morning and this is what starting sizzling in my head, so I got up and composed...I am pretty sure most of you can relate.  I probably need to do a little bit of editing on this, but I thought it was fun, so enjoy!

Song of the Sleep Sirens

There are legends,
from the days of old.
Legends from the sea,
Legends that the sailors told
which capture you and me.
Of beauty that surpassed
all who walked on land
their voices, shrill with hypnotizing song,
but cursed with deadly hands.
The legend is now closed in book and pirate tale
but the ladies of the deep
have found a new home in our sleep.
At the haze of daylight they awake and sit along dream's edge-
between reality and sweet retreat
of coverlet and bed.
“A few more moments their voices beckon,
they will make you feel so well”
“But the time!” My conscious cries,
but I am paralyzed with song.
Sweet lullabies caress my soul
and bid me to sleep all morning long.
As I drift deeper into restful bliss,
my eyes begin to fight
If I do not leave this bed
 my day will not be right!
“But the day can wait a while longer.
You deserve your rest...”
They do not want to listen when my heart protest.
I'm weakened by their luring, their tempting me stay...
How can an extra 15 minutes really ruin my day?
Then suddenly salvation!
A ringing severs their grip,
No snooze, just alarm, stops me from the slip.
My day would waste away, a few hours more,
if I had listened to the sirens who live on Sandman's shore.

-Melissa Robbins Pyle
4-13-2012

Comments

Popular Posts