When the Bump in the Road becomes the Bumpy Road (Part 2)

   I distinctly remember as a small child I loved to go visit my great grandmother.  She was so unique in her love for others and despite her being wheelchair bound after losing both legs to diabetes related injuries, she was always full of life.  She took pride in sneaking us a cookie while swearing us to secrecy.  We loved running in her flower filled yard and playing whatever our young minds could dream up in the few hours we were there.  She was always teaching us and giving unlimited hugs, but one of the things I found most exciting about going to see her actually had nothing to do with seeing her at all. (When you are 7 or younger priorities are often distorted).
   The most exciting part of our visit had to do with the road we drove on to get there. The road was gravel.  I loved the feel of the small rocks and the crackle they made under the hot tires.  The dust would swell up behind our station-wagon and the bounce the car had was as much fun to my five year old self as a ride at the fair.  That ride always comes to mind anytime I drive on a bumpy, gravel road.
   As we would turn off the paved road and dip onto the gravel road my excitement would take over and I'd usually not want to sit still.  I have faint memories of my mom telling us to sit down, sit still.  I know it was for our own safety, but I really wanted to bounce around that car!  I couldn't wait  to see grandma, but the excitement of the off road ride was FUN!
Oh, to be a kid again!
   I see so many parallels to life in this memory.  I am driving on the bumpy road of trials right now, but I am reminded that I am to be still.  Be still and know that He is God.  Be still and know that I am not in control of the station wagon!  I have to trust that when I get to my destination there will be cookies, flowers, hugs and pure childhood joy.
   God tells us in His Word that the trials we are facing now will pale in comparison to the glory we will see in heaven.  2 Corinthians 4:17 states: " For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison"
Far beyond what comparison?  Your trial that is so heavy it knocks the breath from your soul?  Imagine that heavy burden is going to be turned inside out and you will receive an eternal weight of glory that will produce so much joy your soul will burst with worship!  I do not speak these words to insinuate that I am dancing along side my broken down "life car".  I speak these words because the faith that God has spilled into my soul continues to give testimony that this is temporary.  The tears are being bottled up and will be crafted into something so amazing that it will eternally be glory.  ONLY our God can do that!
   So as you ride that bumpy road, rejoice passenger!   There is a reward in every crackled sound and bumpy road.  Tears remain only for the night, but joy comes in the morning.
-Melissa  Pyle
7/20/2017

Comments

Popular Posts