Peace, be Still

One of the many perks of living in Florida is the weather this time of year.  The mild, yet cool temps are so inviting, but I didn't feel like answering the invite this morning.  I have a list of "to dos" that is steadily growing and I made the mistake of watching the news this morning.  Both of these were overwhelming my soul.  Thanksgiving is on the list of to dos and I was becoming weary with all my "stuff" this morning, but the show must go on, right?  The world is crumbling in front of us and I must still plan for sweet potato casserole?
I felt my heart becoming heavy so I  broke for some time in the Word.  This was surely to be salve to my soul today, but just as I sat in my comfy chair she came, the disruption of all things peaceful-Minnie.  The puppy that I just had to have 2 years ago has been both joy and frustration.  As it turns out, God has used her in our lives in many ways, the largest being she alerts us if our son has  a seizure which has been sure to outweigh all the other ways she is used to teach us pesky lessons in patience.  So this morning as she came to me with her barking self to interrupt my time reading the Bible, I thought, "She is bad!".
Her incessant barking would only be relieved if I took her on a walk, so out we went.  We walked down the long gravel drive, and something sweet happened, I became still.  The sun was warming my shoulders and slowly I looked up to finally notice the clear, blue sky.  The breeze whipped around me, grabbed a curl from my hair and placed it in front of my eyes.  "I numbered those".
 I remain still as His still, small voice speaks to my soul.  All the worry that had wanted to seal me up in my house was releasing from my fingertips.  I squinted up at the warm sun and remembered that I serve a God who is so holy that we can't even look at him, but he sent his Son to pay for our sins and make us holy so we can be his children and come into his presence.  I feel that breeze again and remember more words from the Word that tell us we don't see the wind, but feel its effects.  We feel God's presence when we do this one simple thing: Be still and know that He is God.
The being still is a challenge.  We are hurried about with schedules, and burdens so heavy our strongest attempts are broken when we try to carry them.  We need to let our minds be still to have the time to KNOW that he is God.  What does that even mean?  As I stood in the yard between open field and life teeming woods, I watched my two dogs rest in the grass.  My mind needs those kind of" dog in the grass moments."  Just resting in my shepherd who leads me beside still waters, into green, soul feasting pastures in order to restore my soul.
At that point I wanted to stay outside and look at all of creation, soaring above and crawling below, but life does have timelines.  I began to walk towards the house and I'm thankful.  Thankful for the persistence of the little pooch who got me to go on a short walk, for the God who created this beautiful world, yet knows the intricate details of my life-of all of our lives.   My mind will not remain "still" for long today, but I return to those "moving" moments with a revived spirit.  I walked through the door with a mortal mind that can't bring peace on earth, but a heart that can rest in the God who can and who will.
-Melissa Pyle
Looking for an encouraging word? Read the Psalms today.  There are so many great verses that I couldn't decide which one to list.  Just start with the first chapter and work your way through.  You will be changed and strengthened.

Comments

Popular Posts