Hearing, Seeing, Believing


When I was a little girl I had a record of Christmas music, Disney Christmas music to be exact.  Well, to be exact it was a great cover with all the characters but "real" people just sang traditional Christmas carols.  I didn't care.  I loved that record!  I even listened to it in the summer time, probably to the exasperation of my mom. I distinctly remember her asking, "Are you sure you want to listen to that now?".  Oh, I was certain and she was a good sport and played it for me over and over again.  One of the songs on that album was the song "Do you hear what I hear?"  It, of course, has the the lyrics "Do you see what I see?" and "Do you hear what I hear?"  It still plays at random on the playlist in my brain and can become that "song I can't get out of my head".  It isn't really that theological or does it tell the full story of Christmas but it asks two important questions: do you see and do you hear?  At Christmas there is a more important question: Do you believe?

As we march towards the celebration of Christ's coming to earth, I love reading and re-reading the individual accounts of those who saw and heard and I really love reading their reactions.

In Luke we have the angel coming to the priest Zacharias to tell him that he and his wife would have a child.  Not just any child, but John the Baptist, the prophet to make a path for the Lord.  Well, Zacharias, in all his theological training and knowledge, knew that was an improbable statement because he and his wife were older.  So he doubted.  Standing in the temple of all places!  He doubted an angel! In return he is left mute for the entire pregnancy of his wife. He saw the angel with his eyes and heard the angel with his ears, but not with his heart.

We also have an angel coming to Mary and Joseph as recorded in the books of Luke and Matthew.  Both Mary and Joseph, common people with no theological training, saw and heard the angel,took the angel at his word and believed God.

We also have one of the most beautiful scenes of the Christmas story where angels appear in the sky to speak to shepherds.  To shepherds of all people!  They were seen as the least of society.  They were stinky, uneducated, poor farmers.  They saw, heard, and they believed.  They ran to see the great thing that had been told to them. (Luke 2:15-17)

Notice a pattern?  Those who were least among men were elevated to be the greatest.  Who wouldn't want to have been a shepherd that night?  They must have retold the story of multitudes of angels lighting up the night sky hundreds of times, to anyone who would listen.  What an honor to have your attendance requested at the birth of the Savior, God's Son!  God wasn't searching the earth for the mighty, wealthy, or educated.  He was searching for those who were humble enough to believe.  In Hebrews 11:6 it says, "For without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."

Mary, Joseph, the Shepherds, I can't help but think that they were truly seeking God before He ever sent an angel to them.  They must have been seeking God to do something miraculous. To send the Messiah.  They were so humbled and shocked at the role they were able to play in the unfolding of events, but they always trusted God's Word.

As we prepare our hearts for Christmas, ask yourself a few things:  Have I "outgrown" simple faith?  Has my education and position so impressed myself that I have no space for childlike faith? Do I really believe God wants to work in my life?  If He does, will I trust Him when He leads me?

Christmas is a time for the child in all of us to be alive and enjoy the excitement this season offers.  May that childlike spirit lead you to a childlike faith in the Savior and the plans He has for you.  (Luke 18:17)

Do you see?  Do you hear?  Do you believe?


-Melissa Pyle
12/12/18






Comments

Popular Posts