Freedom & Friendship, minus the fireworks

On July 4th 1991 I was a couple months deep into agressive cancer treatments.  Chemotherapy had already taken out my head full of hair and I was on the downward side of my bloodcounts dropping, but I wanted to celebrate July 4th so we continued with our family BBQ plans.  We had the usual family members over and some other close friends.  One family was that of my best friend, Amy Mobley.  All the gathered friends and family participated in the typical festivities: BBQ, swimming, laughter, organized chaos.  All these things made life feel normal for a little while, the fun overshadowing the dark cloud of serious illness that was currently dampening our lives.  As the day dimmed into the darkness of night, fireworks were on the minds of  everyone, especially the kids.  My heart was set on continuing to pretend I was a normal, healthy teenager and join everyone as they went to see the city fireworks display downtown, but my body had other plans.
 As the hours were passing my blood counts were falling and I was beginning to feel the reality of my situation.  I was very sick.  I watched with saddened heart as everyone was preparing to leave and I told my mom I was probably going to have to stay home  What I wasn't telling her was that I was starting to have to run to the restroom because of UTI symptoms.  A urinary tract infection is normally not cause for alarm but in a cancer patient's world it meant a hospital stay and a dangerous infection.  Reluctantly, I told my family I would have to stay behind.  If my memory serves me correctly, my grandmother, mom, and a nurse friend, Michelle stayed behind too.  What I will never forget is who stayed behind, but really didn't have to: Amy. I knew she loved fireworks as much as I did, but she willingly stayed.  She said something like, “it will be crowded in the cars and all the little kids are there, it may rain”, etc...
I knew she was trying to ease the dissapointment she saw on my face about missing the fireworks, but she did a good sales job on making it sound terrible.  Soon she was by my side on the couch, laughing, watching the New York fireworks broadcast on our small 1980’s TV.  We had a wonderful time and I determined in my heart to not have to go to the hospital until the morning (which I did).

That act of kindness is one that I will never forget. Not only was she giving up a temporary joy for herself, she was giving a night of freedom to my family. In a sick person’s life, family members need moments of freedom from the worry. Freedom to just enjoy the simple moments. My siblings were able to go knowing I had my best friend to keep me company. My parents also were able to be happy with the idea that I would still have fun at home, away from the “real fun”. I’m not sure Amy calculated all those things in her mind before willingly staying behind with her bald headed bestie, but her love and kindness was an outpouring of her true love for me and her walk with Christ. Galatians 5:13 says,  “For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.”
That’s exactly what Amy did. She, on that July 4th, served me and my family. She had the freedom to go and do the fun things, but she willing used her freedom of choice to serve. I know I thanked her back then but as the years have passed, the depth of her simple gesture has grown in its impact. Amy will watch fireworks from heaven again this year, as she battled her own war with cancer and went to eternal freedom several years ago. What a legacy she leaves for us. To be free is to serve others. To love others. Your life can shine like fireworks everyday you walk on planet earth and even when you have left, just by loving others well while you are here.
-Melissa Pyle

Fireworks over one of our favorite places! The Magic Kingdom!
 

                                     
                                                         Amy and I in happier times!

                              This picture was taken three years  after my cancer battle-still besties

Comments

Popular Posts