Snowflake Faith

  

It was December 23, 1989 in Florida and it snowed! Roads closed, life was out on hold but my childhood dream and that of many others was coming true: A White Christmas! 

Almost a year earlier, at the age of 11, I had decided that a white Christmas would be perfectly wonderful and a Florida  Christmas miracle. So I, without hesitation, began to pray without ceasing. All year, every day, I prayed for a white Christmas. Not once, did I think that it was too hard for God. Not once did I do what I do now, which is instantly think of about 100 different scientific or logical reasons why a white Christmas in Florida was not feasible.  I just prayed without ceasing and without wavering. I didn’t advertise my prayer requests. I just prayed. 

When snow began to fall 33 years ago today, I was overjoyed! What I hadn’t anticipated was the lack of appropriate winter clothing would make it difficult to play in the snow, but we didn’t care! We played until our hands were freezing then would run inside, warm up, and off we went again. We knew it was a once in a childhood moment and we had to cherish it.

As snowflakes fall, they melt as soon has they hit our warm hands. Each uniquely crafted from the rest, just melts into our individual handprints. Our faith can be that fickle. We ask and as soon as we ask, we falter in our belief that God can do what we asked. 

In James it says, “But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,”

‭‭James‬ ‭1:6-7‬ ‭NASB

At Christmas we celebrate the birth of our Savior. He was born of a virgin. A completely impossible scenario took place and Jesus came into our world. The Word became Flesh. We have become so used to saying those words that we almost have lost the awesomeness of the event. He was here, on earth, for us!

I pray that this Christmas, that truth enraptures your soul and leaves you more awestruck than a young Florida girl, having her first white Christmas, and celebrating an answer to a childish prayer (I’m sure I wasn’t alone in praying for that white Christmas miracle).

-Melissa Pyle




Comments

Popular Posts